Thursday 10 October 2013

Getting articles published

I always wondered how you got a article published in a magazine. Then one day I just decided to write a article and submit to some of my favourite magazines. I decided on something that was relevant to the publication and that I was interested in. I took my time and wrote what I thought I would want to read, I then bit the bullet and emailed them with the article attached and waited.... and waited and then got a few emails back, lots never got back to me and I remember one very rude email back from a online magazine (Emerald Street)- which made me laugh at its level of nastiness, I emailed back saying 'Thank you so much for the effort it must of taken to email me back and for taking the time to read the article" I always have the saying in my head 'Fuck em and eat them'.

One article I wrote was wanted by two different magazines, which was just crazy, so I was requested to write a whole new article for V&Oak magazine.

What is surprising is that the majority of editors and sub-editors are just lovely and appreciate you taking the time to write a article.  

I have had two articles published in national magazines Vintage Life magazine and V&Oak magazine. It was lovely feeling seeing something in print and I felt proud - my mum bought ever copy in North London.

My advice is tailor a article that is relevant to the magazine, be polite and don't be afraid if you do not hear back from them, just dust your self off and write another article.


No comments:

Post a Comment